CHELVEY - information extracted from Kelly’s 1914 Directory of Somerset
CHELVEY is an ecclesiastical parish, a mile south-west from Nailsea and Backwell station on the Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western Railway, 8 miles south-west from Bristol.
Here is a pumping station for supplying the Bristol waterworks, Charles Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tyne esq., J.P. of Halswell Park, Goathurst is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
Under the provisions of the Divided Parishes Act 1882, this parish from March 25th 1885 was annexed to Brockley for civil purposes only
The soil is loamy, and the sub soil is sandy bog. The chief crops are wheat with some land in pasture. Population in 1911 of the ecclesiastical parish was 45.
CHELVEY is part of the
· Northern division of the County [Somerset],
· Hundred of Portbury,
· Bedminster Petty Sessional Division, [previously Bedminster]
· Long Ashton Union, [previously Bedminster]
· County Court District of Bristol,
· Rural deanery of Portishead,
· Archdeaconry of Bath,
· Diocese of Bath & Wells.
The Church of St Bridget is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing one bell. The church was restored in 1883, at a cost of £700, and affords sittings for 100 persons. The register dates from the year 1735.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £88, including 17 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of Charles T.H. Kemeys-Tynte, esq., and has been held since 1910 by the Rev Arthur Henry Wright M.A. of New College, Oxford, who is also the vicar of Brockley.
There are no Non-Conformist Chapels
There is no school
Letters from Bristol through West Town Post Office [Backwell] are received at 8.00am & 4.30pm., week days only. Letter Box cleared at 8.00am and 4.30pm., week days only. West Town is the nearest Telegraph & Money Order Office, 1 mile distant.
Wright, Rev. Arthur Henry M.A. (rector) Rectory
Avis, Hubert, farmer, Midgell Farm
Bristol Water Works Co. (Pumping Station) – Arthur Varlow, engineer, Clifton Cottage
Cottle, John, farmer, Yew Tree Farm
Corp, Edward Allan, farmer, Chelvey Court
Marsh,Howard , farmer,
Varlow, Alfred engineer to Bristol Water Works Co’s pumping station.