ABBOT’S LEIGH - information extracted from Kelly’s 1914 Directory of Somerset
ABBOT’S LEIGH is a small parish and village, 4 miles west from Bristol. There is a Parish Hall and Reading Room
Leigh Court, the residence of Sir Henry Robert William Miles, bart, who is the Lord of the Manor, Lay Rector and principal landowner is a noble mansion, erected by Philip John Miles, Esq., who died 24th March 1845.
The soil is sandy, and the sub soil is limestone, which is quarried in two places. The chief crops are roots, wheat and barley, though a large part of the parish is in pasture and woods. The area is 2,258 acres ; rateable value £4,845; Population in 1911 was 326
ABBOT’S LEIGH is part of the
- Northern division of the County [Somerset],
- Hundred of Portbury,
- Long Ashton Petty Sessional Division – [previously known as Bedminster,
- Long Ashton Union – [previously known as Bedminster],
- County Court District of Bristol, Rural deanery of Clifton,
- Archdeaconry of Bristol,
- Diocese of Bristol.
The Church of the Holy Trinity, with the exception of the tower and chancel was destroyed by fire in 1848 but the church was rebuilt in the same year at the expense of the late Sir William Miles bart., and is now an edifice of stone in the perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles and south porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock, and 6 very fine bells.
The monument to the late J. P. Miles, esq., as well as the memorials to the Norton family were preserved from the fire. The Church plate was given by Lady Norton in the reign of Charles the Second.
Norton’s Charity left in 1659 amounts to £11 yearly for apprenticing, and £13 6s 4d yearly for distribution; Miles Charity, founded by Will in 1842 consists of £20 yearly for bread and beef; Roach’s Charity amounts to £1 annually and Addis’s Charity to £4 10s annually.There are sittings for 258 persons.
The register dates from the year 1651.
- Sexton – Charles Symes.
- Assistant Overseer & Clerk to the Parish Council – William Frampton
There are no Non-Conformist Chapels
Public Elementary School (mixed) for 70 children - average attendance, 65.
- School Master – James William Hare
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office. Letters from Bristol arrive and are delivered daily at 7.10am, 2.15 & 7.15pm, on Sundays at 7.30am. Letters are dispatched daily at 10.00am, 3.15pm & 7.15pm Sundays at 4 pm.
- Sub-postmaster – Arthur Ed Giddings
Abbot, Gilbert Leigh, The Bungalow
Batten, Col. Herbert Cary George, B.A. J.P. Leigh Lodge
Brinkley, Rev Walter Frederick Brownlow, M.A., Vicarage
Fry, Roderick, The Priory
Hadden, Frank J, Manor House
McCormack, Alfred, Avon View
Miles, Sir Henry Robert William, bart., Leigh Court
Alvis, Edwin, farmer
Arters, William, butcher
Chapman, Samuel, farmer
Down, Edward, land surveyor
Durbidge, Arthur, head gardener to Sir H.R.W. Miles, bart
Frampton, William, assistant overseer & clerk to Parish Council
Gage, Robt (Mrs) farmer, Chapel Pill Farm
Golding, William, manager of the George Inn, Western Counties Public House Trust Co Ltd.,
Giddings, Arthur E, grocer & Post Office
Hollyman, Alfred William, farmer
Jenkins, Richard, farm bailiff to Sir H.R.W. Miles, bart.,
Frampton, Edwin, Sec to Parish Hall & Reading Room
Pillinger, Alfred, farmer, Upper Farm
Pillinger, Benjamin, farmer