Login About us Contact us Terms & Conditions


MARK -  information extracted from Kelly’s 1914 Directory of Somerset

MARK is a village and parish on the road from Highbridge to Wells, 3 miles north-east of Bason Bridge station on the Somerset and Dorset Railway, 4 east from Highbridge and 10 north east from Bridgwater.

The abbots of Glastonbury had a court house in this parish.

Rev F. K. WARREN M. A., Col. C.E. WHITTING, A. P. EDWARDS, Esq., Misses COUNSELL and Mrs ROBERTS are the chief landowners.

The soil is clayey; the sub soil in lias.  The land is nearly all pasture.  The area in 4,927 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value £13,155

The population in 1911 was 925 in the civil parish and 917 in the ecclesiastical parish.  The parish is divided into two districts, called East Mark and West Mark respectively, and contains the following hamlets, with their distances from the Parish Church. 


    • Northwick,   1½ miles west-north-west;
    • Southwick,   2 miles west-south-west;
    • Vole,            2½ miles north-west;
    • Yarrow,          ½ mile south;
    • Dutch Road, 2 miles west
    • Yard Wall.    1½ mile west-south-west
    • River Bridge,  on the River Brue;
    • Perry,            immediately adjacent on the north-east
    • Harp Road,  1½ miles west-north-west;
    • Pillrow,          ½ mile north.

MARK is part of the

    • Wells division of the County [Somerset],
    •          Hundred of Bempstone,
    •          Axbridge Petty Sessional Division,
    •         Axbridge Union,
    •          County Court District of Axbridge,
    •          Rural deanery of Burnham,
    •          Archdeaconry of Wells,
    •          Diocese of Bath & Wells.


The Church of St Mark (Holy Cross) is an interesting building of stone in the Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower with turrets containing a clock and six bells. 

The church was restored in 1875 at a cost of £1,000 and again in 1904, at a cost of about £2,000 and has 400 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1647.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, including 25 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, and has been held since 1910 by the Rev Guy Lauder FITZMAURICE B. A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge.


The Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1796 and restored in 1893 at a cost of £150, is a building of stone in the Gothic Style and will seat 280 persons

The Baptist chapel, erected in 1866 is also of stone in the Gothic Style and has 150 sittings

THE School

Public Elementary Schools, -

Mark (Church of England) (mixed) enlarged in 1890 for 123 children; average attendance, 90 and endowed with £23 10s yearly

School Master – Edgar Loftus MILLARD

School Mistress – Mrs Kathleen MILLARD


Mark Causeway (Church of England) (girls and infants) erected in 1875 for 100 children, average attendance 46

School Mistress – Mrs DOOLEY



Post & Telegraph Office  - Mark, Letters arrive from Highbridge  arrive at 7.50 a.m and 5.35pm Letters are dispatched at 8.55 a.m and 6.35pm, weekdays only  The nearest Money Order Office is at Mark Causeway

Sub-Postmistress – Miss Anne WEBBER

Post & M O Office  - Mark Causeway , Letters arrive from Highbridge  arrive at 6.40 a.m and 4.45pm Letters are dispatched at 9.20 a.m and 7 pm , weekdays only  The nearest Telegraph Office is at Mark

Sub-Postmaster – John DAY




Private Residents

FITZMAURICE -Rev Guy Lauder B. A. (rector), Rectory



BAGG - Jane (Mrs), poultry dealer

BAKER - Charles Wm., Pack Horse P. H.

BAKER - William, farmer, Plash

CHAMPENEY – Chas, famer, Perry Farm

COMER - & Co. farmers, Totney farm

COMER – Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer

COX – Jeffery, Plash Farm

COURT – Fdk.  Jas., farmer, The Laurels

DUCKETT – William, Farmer, Splot Farm

FROST – Wilfred Gilbert, Grocer

GOODMAN – Arthur, Grocer

HAM – John, Contractor

HAWKER – Alfred, Grazier, Elm House

MOON - & Co. Farmers, Mill Batch Farm

MOON – Walt, Aukland, Farmer Satfield Farm

PARKER – Frank, Plumber

PETERS – Susan Ann (Mrs), Farmer, Mark House

PETHERAM – H (Mrs.) Farmer, King’s Way

PUDDY – Henry, Coal Dealer

SAUNDERS – John, Shopkeeper

SHEPPARD – Walter, Farmer, Stook House

VOWLES – Herbert, Farmer

WEBBER – Sarah (Mrs), Dressmaker

WENSLEYJas., Agricultural Implement Manufacturer




ASH, - John C

BAGG -The Misses, Alma Villa


MOON – Miss



COOMBES – James (Mrs), farmer

DAY – Albert & Sons, Iron Founders

DAY-  Henry, poultry dealer

DAY – John, Grocer, Post Office

DRAKE – Richard, Baker

FEAR – Frank, Farmer

FEAR – Robert, Farmer

FISHER – Jonas, Farmer & cattle dealer

FISHER – Samuel, Farmer

GULLIDGE- Frank, Boot maker

HOUSE – Henry Allen, farmer

ISGAR – Walter, Farmer, Wainsbridge Farm

JONES -Frank, Cow keeper

LATCHAM – Sidney, Farmer

MOON -Edgar, farmer

MOON - Thomas Henry, farmer

SHEPPARD – Ernest, Baker

STEPHENS – Thomas, Carpenter

SWEET -  Albert, Farmer

TUCKER - Ernest Champeney, farmer

TUCKER – Mary Ann (Mrs), farmer

TUCKER – Joseph Henry, farmer

VOWLES – Alfred, Farmer

WARREN – William, Farmer

WEBBER - Frederick, Farmer



COLEMAN – Thomas, Farmer

DAVIS - William, farmer


PERKINS – William

BAGG – Frederick, Farmer

DAY – Cornelius, farmer

POPHAM – Henry, farmer


FEARThomas, Farmer

LUFF – Robert, (Mrs), farmer

TURNER – Frank, Farmer

VOWLES – Ernest, farmer

VOWLES – John, farmer


EDNEY – John, Farmer

TRATT – Esther (Mrs), Black Bull P.H.

WESTLAKE – Tom, Farmer


BOYER – Edmund, Farmer

FEAR – Clifford, Farmer

FEAR – Frank, Farmer

LARDER – Ambrose, Farmer

LATCHAM – William, Farmer

MOON – Edward James, Corn & Cake Merchant & Farmer, Southwick House

POPHAM – Richard, Farmer

WATTS - Anthony, Farmer

WATTS - John, Pig Dealer


CAREY – Charles, farmer

CARNELL – Edward, farmer

DURSTON – Isaac, farmer

HARDING – Edward, farmer

STURGESS – Thomas, farmer

VOWLES – Kate (Mrs), farmer


PUDDY – Samuel, Contractor



BINNING - Frank, farmer

COLEMAN – William Jesse, farmer

COX - George, farmer

HAM – Rowland, farmer

PUDDY - William, contractor

URCH - Oliver, farmer, assistant overseer, collector & surveyor for the Lower Brue Drainage Board

WALL - George, farmer



Mark Pictures

Mark Wesleyan Chapel
Mark Wesleyan Chapel
Holy Cross Church, The Parish Church of Mark
Holy Cross Church, The Parish Church of Mark
There are documents relating to this place.
Login or Join now to further your researches using all our premium content.

My Connections with Mark, Somerset
  login or join us now to post comments

Forthcoming Events

Workshop by Zoom: Private Schools of Weston: Pat Hase
Wednesday, 28th February, 2024 19:30 - 21:00
Library Help Session
Saturday, 2nd March, 2024 14:00 - 15:30
Physical Members' Meeting
Wednesday, 13th March, 2024 14:30 - 17:00
Library Help Session
Saturday, 6th April, 2024 14:00 - 15:30
Physical Members' Meeting
Wednesday, 10th April, 2024 14:30 - 17:00
<- View calendar for more

Website written and designed by:
Weston IT Solutions
Copyright (c) 2018