LOCKING - information extracted from Kelly’s 1914 Directory of Somerset
LOCKING is a parish, 1½ miles south from Worle station on the Bristol and Exeter Section of the Great Western Railway and 3 miles south east from Weston-super-Mare.
The Merchant Venturers of Bristol are the lords of the manor and principal landowners. The soil is clayey, and the land is in pasture. The area is 1,030 acres; rateable value, £2,156; Population in 1911 was 116.
LOCKING is part of the
· Wells division of the County [Somerset],
· Hundred of Winterstoke,
· Axbridge Petty Sessional Division,
· Axbridge Union,
· County Court District of Weston-super-Mare,
· Rural deanery of Locking,
· Archdeaconry of Wells,
· Diocese of Bath & Wells.
The Church of St Augustine, rebuilt with the exception of the tower is an edifice in the decorated and perpendicular styles, consisting of a chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch, and a western tower, with pierced trefoiled parapet, crocketed pinnacles, and an octagonal embattled stair turret, carrying a spirelet and vane at the southeast angle. The tower contains 4 bells, the belfry stage being lighted by coupled traceried windows separated and flanked by crocketed pinnacles. The east window and two windows on the south side of the chancel are stained. There are memorial windows in the nave to:
· the Right Rev George Henry Law D.D. Bishop of Chester 1812-24 and of Bath and Wales 1824 - he died 22 September 1845;
· the Lady Henrietta Charlotte (Grey), wife of Rev. J. T. Law, who died in March 1866;
· the Rev George Henry Law M.A. formerly vicar of this parish , died 1875;
· Mrs Reynolds
The stone pulpit, a fine work, is adorned with canopies and is exquisitely carved, but has been much injured by injudicious painting; the font, a singularly and highly interesting work of the Norman period, consists of an oblong trough or basin, supported on a massive central shaft and smaller shafts at the angles; at each corner of the basin is a figure in high relief of a knight in full armour, each extending his arms along the sides of the basin; above and below, on three sides are interlaced serpents and various other ornaments.
The church was entirely restored and reseated in 1863 and affords sittings for 200 persons. A lych gate was erected in 1910 in memory of the Rev A. J. Woodforde B.A. vicar 1894-1910. The register dates from 1750.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £150, in the gift of Mrs Woodforde, and held since 1910 by the Rev. George Frederick Jackson M.A. of St John’s College Cambridge.
- The Sexton, - George Grimstead
There is no Non-Conformist Chapel
A Public Elementary School (mixed) was erected in 1858 for 50 children average attendance, 20.
- School Mistress – Mrs Helena Ward
Letters from Weston-super-Mare arrive at 4.15am; delivered at 7.00am and 4.25pm; dispatched at 4.25pm & 9.30pm. Sundays letters arrive 5.20 am; delivered 7.00am and dispatched at 6.40pm. Banwell is the nearest Money Order Office; Hutton, 1½ miles distant is the nearest Telegraph office.
- Sub-postmaster – William George Millier
Gimingham, Miss, Manor House
Jackson, Rev. George Frederick M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Chapman, Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer Elm Tree Farm
Cook, William, farmer
Criddle, Albert Michael Butt, farmer, Lockinghead Farm
Hawkins, Ann (Mrs) farmer, West End Farm
Kerton, Thomas, farmer, Rectory Farm
Parsons, Joseph, farmer, Manor Farm
Stagg, Robert, farmer, Church House
Williams, Michael John, farmer, Locking Farm