HUTTON - information extracted from Kelly’s 1914 Directory of Somerset
HUTTON is a parish and village, 3½ miles south east from Weston-super-Mare station on the main line of the Great Western Railway and 8 miles north-west from Axbridge. The Great Western Railway runs through the parish.
Hutton Court, the seat of Thomas G Bisdee Esq., is a mansion originally erected in the 15th century. It has a fine old hall with open oak roof, and in the passage leading thereto is a curious “lavabo”. From the embattled tower the views of the surrounding country are very fine; a porch has been added, and over the doorway are the arms of the Bisdee family. Thomas G Bisdee Esq., who is the lord of the manor and Lady Smyth of Long Ashton, Bristol are the chief landowners.
Elborough is a hamlet and a manor, 1 mile east, belonging to Lady Smyth.
Oldmixon is a hamlet and manor partly in the parish of Bleadon, 1 mile west of Hutton and 1 mile east of Bleadon and Uphill Station on the main line of the Great Western Railway. It is the property of Thomas G Bisdee, Esq., who is also the lord of the manor.
The soil is loam and clay, and the sub soil is clay. The land is nearly all in pasture. The area is 1,877 acres ; rateable value £4,649; Population in 1911 was 295
HUTTON is part of the
· Wells division of the County [Somerset],
· Hundred of Winterstoke,
· Axbridge Petty Sessional Division,
· Axbridge Union,
· County Court District of Weston-super-Mare,
· Rural deanery of Locking,
· Archdeaconry of Wells,
· Diocese of Bath & Wells.
The Church of St Mary is a building of stone in the perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with organ chamber on the north side, nave of two bays, south aisle, and an embattled western tower, of three stages, with pierced parapet, pinnacles, and an octagonal spired stair turret at the south-east angle and containing a clock, erected in 1887, and 5 bells. The bell-cote on the eastern gable was unfortunately blown down in the gale of March 3rd 1897, but has been restored to its original condition. Both nave and chancel have wagon roofs and the wall plate of the former is carved with a floral pattern. The lower stage of the tower has lierne vaulting.
There is a memorial window to the Rev Alfred Harford B.A. rector since 1825 and the stained west window was placed by public subscription. In the south aisle there is a monument with effigies kneeling at a prayer desk, and behind them figures of one son and three daughters commemorating Nathaniel Still, Esq., his wife and family and the date 1626. In the chancel are brasses with effigies to John Payne Esq., died Aug 5th 1496, Elizabeth, his wife and 11 children; and to Thomas Payne, Esq., died Aug 12th 1528, Elizabeth his wife and also 11 children. The ancient stone pulpit of stone is constructed partly in the thickness of the wall and is reached by the original rood loft stairs. The chancel was rebuilt and the south aisle added in 1849, under the direction of Mr Fripp, Architect of Bristol. In 1870 a new organ and organ chamber were added. There are sittings for 258 persons. The register dates from the year 1743.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £213, including 65 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the trustees of Mrs G. L. M. Gibbs, and has been held since 1896 by the Rev William Francis Rose M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford.
- Parish Clerk– George Starks
There are no Non-Conformist Chapels
Public Elementary Schools (mixed) with mistress’s house attached was erected in 1873 in the Gothic style by voluntary subscription at a cost of about £850 for 100 children - average attendance, 52.
- School Mistress – Miss Anne Parkhouse,
- Assistant Mistresses – Miss Edith Spratt & Miss Gladys Collard
Post & Telegraph Office. Letters from Weston-super-Mare arrive at 4.38am and 4.05pm; delivered at 7.00am & 4.05pm, dispatched at 4.05pm & 9.22pm. Sundays arrive 5.38am . delivered 7.00am dispatched 6.20pm. Regent Street, Weston-super-Mare is the nearest Money Order Office.
- Sub-postmaster – Samuel Palmer
Bisdee, Thomas G., Hutton Court
Crawshaw, Sidney, Manor Ho, Oldmixon
Gane, Philip Andres, Mendip Cottage
Mitchell, Miss F, Sutherlands
Rose, Rev Wm Francis, M.A. Rectory