BROCKLEY - information extracted from Kelly’s 1914 Directory of Somerset
BROCKLEY is a small village and parish on the road from Bristol to Weston-super-Mare, 2 miles southwest of Nailsea Station on the Bristol and Exeter section of the Great Western Railway and 9 miles south-west from Bristol. Chelvey was by Local Government Board Order March 25th 1885 amalgamated with this parish for civil purposes.
Brockley Hall is the seat of John Hugh Smyth-Pigott esq., J.P. lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The soil is loamy, and the sub soil is sand and stone. The area is 1,148 acres; occupied as arable, pasture and woodland; rateable value £9,761; Population in 1911 was 105 in civil parish and 60 in ecclesiastical parish
BROCKLEY is part of the
· Northern division of the County [Somerset],
· Hundred of Chewton,
· Long Ashton Petty Sessional Division, [previously known as Bedminster]
· Long Ashton Union, [previously known as Bedminster]
· County Court District of Bristol,
· Rural deanery of Portishead,
· Archdeaconry of Bath,
· Diocese of Bath & Wells.
The Church of St Nicholas is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock, and 2 bells.
Several of the windows are stained; the organ presented in about 1840 by Mrs Ann Pigott, then lady of the manor, was reconstructed in 1893 at a cost of £124. In 1892 the church was fitted with heating apparatus at a cost of about £50, raised by subscription. The charities are of £8 11s yearly value.
There are sittings for 100 persons. The register dates from the year 1696.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £100, including 14 acres of glebe with residence, in the gift of the trustees of the Smyth-Pigott family, and has been held since 1910 by the Rev Arthur Henry Wright M.A. of new College, Oxford, who is also the rector of Chelvey where he resides.
- Parish Clerk– Frederick Moore
There are no Non-Conformist Chapels
The children attend schools at Backwell and Cleeve.
Letters from Bristol arrive at about 8.00am and 4.00pm; Wall Letter Box cleared daily at 8.30am and at 4 and 7pm. West Town, Backwell is the nearest Telegraph and Money Order Office.
Cox, Donald, Brockley Cottage
Evans, Parker Nicholson, Park View
Ridge, Mrs, the Rectory
Ridge, Capt Robert Templeton, Manor Farm
Smyth-Pigott, Mrs, Brockley Hall
Smyth-Pigott, John Hugh J.P. Brockley Hall
Adams, William, woodman to John H Smyth-Pigott, esq.,
Alvis, John, farmer, Court Farm
Hawkins, Herbert, farmer
Hawkins, James, surveyor to the Long Ashton Rural District Council, Brockley Elms
Ridge, Capt, Robert Templeton, Manor Farm